This week we read The Vampyre and Giving Up The Ghost. I decided that these readings were a little hard for me to get through. I had to turn to my dictionary a lot to look up the words in the first reading. I did start to get into it more when Ianthe came up. As soon as she died though I started getting distracted again. Lord Ruthven to me seems like a pretty normal person given the fact that he sucks blood for living. I feel like Aubrey was like "oh no! you ate the girl i love. pay attention next time man, oh and by the way go look in the mirror you still have some of her blood on your cheek, get that off before we leave or you'll look like a sloppy eater."
I was angry for Aubrey when his sister got suckered into marrying Lord Ruthven. I feel like this portrayal of vampires was weird because I thought the story would be about a grimacing ugly hollow eyed vampire, but instead he had the modern day vampire thing going on. I am looking forward to see how other stories we read portray vampires.
As for what the term high society means, I believe that vampires are like supernatural beings, with a style and aura about them that projects an almost superhuman feel.
I think one of the things that intrigues me about these stories is how they portray women as so innocent and when the vampire comes along they are like ripped of their innocence and everybody can't believe it.\
I wish there was more romance involving aubrey and Ianthe. I started to think okay here is the good part and then she just gets killed off. I wish my vocabulary was better too so I could have maybe followed along closer and not had to keep pausing.
I think i prefer the way polidori makes lord ruthven into this normal vampire because it allows for the vampire to interact with people in the story on a more civil level. I think it is good for the development of the plot.
No comments:
Post a Comment